A blessing not enjoyed

I don't know the names of all of my aunts and uncles.
I don't know my family's health records.
I don't know my cousins.
I don't know my ethnicity.
I do know that I know nothing about my family.

For the past couple of years, I've been wanting to put together a family tree.  Better yet, I've been thinking about coordinating a family reunion.  The one thing that I dislike about my family is that there is no appreciation for family; obviously neither of those plans would work because nobody but me cares (or so it seems).  I'm going to be honest, I am a little envious when I see family's that are close.  Families that are so tightly-knit that they know their cousins, second cousins, great-grandparents, etc.  The only things I know are the basics: mom, dad, sister, (mom's side) aunt and uncle, and grandparents.  I didn't meet my grandpa until I was about 9 years old and he died that weekend.  I didn't know my grandma until I was 15; she died the following year.  It really bothers me that nobody really sees the importance of forming strong relationships with others in the family.  Do they not see the reward in being able to be the one that someone else trusts with everything?  Do they not see the reward in being able to run to any family member and feel instant comfort?
One thing that God has blessed us with is the family network.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to enjoy this blessing.  Not to bash my dad, but I don't get calls for any holidays, birthdays, or recognition for graduating college.  I mean I have recognized the lack of relationships between distant family members, but there shouldn't be a lack of relationship between a father and his daughter(s).  Where does one learn the importance of establishing relationships?  From their parents?  Is it self-taught?  Not a single person on my dad's side could care less about what anyone else is doing.  The only thing that we have in common or share is our last name.  My grandma has never reached out and tried learning about me . . . is this where that side of the family has learned not to care?  From grandma and her habits?  No, I can't say that is the only reason.  Although the concept of family has not been instilled in individuals does not mean that you can't reach out and teach yourself the importance.  My family (mom, step-dad, sister) doesn't even have a strong relationship.  I can't completely blame them because I don't show interest in them either, but why?
I know that the family I create is going to be strong and have a relationship that will last generations.  Because my family is not what defines family, I have learned what really defines it.  My family will learn and know the importance of what it means to love and depend on each other for life.  Whether I am able to instill values in them or not, they will witness what family love really means. 

Did I mention I am supposed to put together a family tree (due in 3 weeks) that lists all of my family specifics on both sides?  Oh, boy.

Posted byAshley C. at 6:03 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment