Party of one

Here I sit with a bowl of popcorn, a 7-up, and a couple cookies.  By myself.  And I must admit it is very refreshing and relaxing.  I am just excited about being able to stay up late tonight (by myself) and catch up on all of my Internet "stuff."  Feels good. 
Can you all believe it is almost 2010?!  It really feels as though 2009 just began.  I remember when the New Year first began and I was looking forward to all that I thought was going to happen.  The only thing that happened that I was looking forward to was an early graduation.  No engagement, no new car, no new body, no finished scrapbooks.  It's can seem a bit depressing to look back and see everything that did not happen.  But come to think of it, there are plenty of things that happened that I did not intend on happening.  For example, I have made a couple close girlfriends this semester at school, I have learned what it means to begin loving my body for what it is, I have been introduced to the blogging world.  I am more grateful for those things that did happen than I am upset about the things that didn't happen.  I think this whole year has been about learning about me.  It has been a very exciting year and I do not think I would change anything about it.
What are my New Year's resolutions, goals, etc.?  Well, I'm not quite sure because last year I made all of these resolutions and did not meet any of them.  I kind of think that setting a "goal" for the heck of it (or because everyone else is doing the same thing) makes it that much easier to abandon.  But, I must admit, there is something about a whole new calendar year that makes you feel that you can conquer the world and achieve any goal you set before yourself.  If you think about it though, God gave us night and day and the chance for a renewal each day.  If you look at it that way, you have 365 chances of starting over.  If you look at each week as a chance to start over, well you have 52 chances.  If you look at months, you have 12 chances.  But, if you look at years, you only have one chance; I think that's one of the main reasons people fail at their resolutions so easily.  Once they slip-up, they (we) think "Too bad, now I have to start over next year."  And if you slipped up January 1st . . . that's not good!  One thing that I have to learn to remember is that God is there every day, every minute, every hour; He is there, waiting to forgive you and encourage you to move forward.  If you ask God to give you the energy and focus, you can do all things!  But, if you go on and try to achieve your goals without consulting Him or asking His Spirit to strengthen you, odds are you're going to fail.  The Spirit is our strength . . . and that's not just for no reason.  God knows we are vulnerable and easy to manipulate so that's why there is a Trinity and not only God and Jesus.  Ask Him!

So . . . if you all didn't notice, this is my 100th post!  That's really exciting!  I have not written as much as I'd wish I did, but hey, it's a start!  I came across a website that allows you to turn your blog into a book . . . as I was telling another person, I think it would be cool to print my blogs at the end of every year in order to preserve them and use them as a portal for my children to get to know me in ways they weren't able to after I'm old and gone.  :-]  So, that's just what I'm going to do.  I think it will even be fun for me to look back at my daily adventures, thoughts, and struggles. 
Well, off I go to finish my popcorn and cookies.  So, to close up, I'm wondering . . . What are your New Year's resolutions and what gives you strength in your attempts?

Posted byAshley C. at 10:13 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment