No, not that ring!

Ever since Josh and I started dating, he made it clear to me that he did not want me wearing any rings.  He did not want me looking at rings.  It was not a controlling factor, just something that he expected and always seen in his future wife.  So, out of respect for him, I never did.  I didn't wear any rings, I never walked past a jewelry store turning my head, I never looked up beautiful rings online.  I wanted to be honest with him and for him to know that he can trust me with that.  Well . . . now that I have talked to the appropriate people, I can tell you this story . . .

Mom never knew this about me and Josh.  A couple weeks back when I got my graduation announcements, she was so excited about me graduating that he just had to show me my graduation gift.  I insisted, I told her that I wanted it when I graduated, that way I would have something to look forward to and be excited about.  She could not wait.  She went into her room and came back into mine with a small, beautifully wrapped gift.  Yup.  I unwrapped it and opened the box.  It was a gorgeous diamond and pink sapphire white gold ring.  I absolutely adored it!  She said that I could not have it until graduation so I thought to myself, "hmm, perfect amount of time to crack the bad news to Josh." So she wrapped it back up and hid it in her room so that no one else will know I saw it.
He wasn't happy.  At all.  He was hurt and confused as to why mom would get me a ring for graduation.  Why not the camera I've been wanting or cash?  "Did it not cross her mind that maybe that's what I wanted to get you for graduation?"  I guess it was a lose-lose situation.  If he proposed before graduation, my interest in the engagement ring would be lost with my new ring (he thinks) and if he proposed after graduation, he did not want mom to think he was trying to out-do her.  I guess I can see his frustration considering I am turning a new leaf in life and Josh wanted to celebrate that way?  Well, after a couple "arguments" about me having to wear the ring and not mentioning it to my mom, I decided I needed to talk to her about me and Josh's pact.
She took it very well.  I told her that after Josh proposes, I will only wear her ring on special occasions because I want to respect Josh by not wearing any other rings.  She said that was perfectly fine as long as she knows I like the ring . . . which I love!  She agreed that she would not be offended.

Yesterday, I got a ring!  No, not that ring, my pretty pink ring. My stepdad came into my room (while I was doing homework!) and gave me the ring (he didn't know I already knew about).  I did a good job at acting surprised! ;-]  Now, I get to wear the beautiful ring every day until I have a replacement!  I think it will be any day now . . . Hmm . . . hopefully! 

Posted byAshley C. at 5:54 PM  

1 comments:

Kris said... Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 7:49:00 AM PST  

Looking forward to seeing the ring!!! It sounds beautiful. Even though it's not THE ring :)

Post a Comment