Precious life

Today, Josh and I went to our first matinee movie.  On Friday we weren't able to make it to the movie we wanted to see because I was at the women's conference.  What did we see?  Precious.  Let me just say, this was the most sickening, sad movies I have seen in a looong time.  If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it.
It's about a 16 year-old black girl that is in junior high school, pregnant with her second child.  She lives at home with her mom and her boyfriend, Precious' dad.  Spoiler alert . . . at the end of the movie, we find out that her dad has been raping her since she was 3 years old.  Not to mention, her dad is the father of both of her children.  The girl, Clarise, has dreams about who she wants to be: tall, thin, with long hair, a light-skinned husband, and be a star in a music video.  She is a very overweight girl that obviously struggles with these desires.
The girl has to support herself, her mom beats her, watches as her dad rapes her, treats her as a slave, tells her shes a no-good fat girl that will never be anything, etc.  I can go on and on, but you need to see the movie.  What really bothered me about the movie was that there are girls going through this every day.  Girls that are not bold enough to come out and stand up for herself and say something.  Girls that do not know more than the sheltered world she lives in.  It really hurts me to see a story like this because we never hear about that kind of stuff.  Out of sight, out of mind, right?  Whether we thing so or not, this stuff happens.

As you all know, I plan on becoming a Social Worker.  I want to be that person that hopeless people find hope and peace in.  I want to be that person that young girls aren't afraid to share their worries and concerns with.  I want to be that person that reaches out and is caring.  I want to be that person that makes a world of difference

Posted byAshley C. at 9:29 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment