My friends are silver and gold

" . . . make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."  Yeah, I was a Girlscout and that was a song we sang on a regular basis, but that's besides my point . . . !

I am the kind of person that likes to keep to myself; I don't like making new friends, I'd rather keep the friendships I have continuing and be happy as a clam. But, this week, I have been reconnecting with old friends (and some not-so-friends).  After the conversations that I've been having with these people, I cannot help but remember the good times that those friendships held.  I remember when I first met these people, the good times, the bad, the fun, the not-so-fun-but-strengthening times.  I miss them.  I miss the innocence of friendships based on nothing but your love and care for the other person.  Now, there are countless distractions that seem to get in the way of those friendships.
This semester has really been nothing but making new friends; I love it.  I have even grown close to a girl or two that I really hope to continue keeping in contact with after graduation, girls that have taught me to come out of my shell and get to know other people, there are friendly girls out there after all!

I love all of my girlfriends (and I do mean all) and the lessons and memories that we have shared.  I would not trade a single thing for what we've shared.  Here's to the girls that wrote me encouraging poems (and letters while at work) all the time, gave me a nickname that reflected the way I made them feel, humbly apologized when getting out of line or disrespecting me, carried me (and my bike) across a deep ravine in order to keep me dry, gave me $1 to walk to the gas station with me and buy 25 cent bags of chips, cry baby gum balls, and chicko-sticks, told me that I was beautiful even when I didn't feel like it, shared private things with me and allowed me to pray for them, told me they looked up to me as a godly woman, initiated the beginning of our friendship (again and again . . . :-]), told me I needed a haircut because I had split-ends, allowed me to have time off work when they knew I needed it, shared godly and encouraging words, helped me pass a quiz (or test) by whispering an answer or two my direction, simply telling me to have a good night or weekend and really mean it . . . I love all of you girls.  You mean the world to me and I apologize if I ever hurt any of you or made you feel unappreciated. 

I love you.

Posted byAshley C. at 9:18 PM  

1 comments:

Unknown said... Wednesday, November 25, 2009 at 6:12:00 AM PST  

Your friends should be a reflection of you, so it's only right that they are wonderful! You deserve that in friends. I love you!

Post a Comment