What a great actor

Yesterday, I was at work, sitting at the front desk, talking to some of the other girls when this guy came in. I've never seen the guy before and he looked very intent. He asked, "Is your owner in right now?" and I told him, "no, she won't be in until next Tuesday. Can I leave a message for her?" He pretty much said that his wife had just been in a serious car accident in the Waukesha/Milwaukee area and that his car was on 'e' and he doesn't get paid until Friday and that he needed to get there now; the last he heard was that she was getting a CAT scan. So, he started getting choked up and watery-eyed and offered to leave his license there . . . but he needed money.
Okay, so I looked at the other girls and just apologized to the guy (after going through my several options) and told him I couldn't do anything for him. One of the girls gave him $5, and the guy just said, "Thank you, I'll return it on Friday. Thank you so much." After he left, I felt so heavy-hearted and wished I could have done something for him, wished I had cash in my purse, wished Krissy was in, etc. Another one of the girls I was working with kept asking me, "You feel bad, huh?" Of course I did! I couldn't get him and his unfortunate situation off my heart. I said a silent prayer for he and his wife.

The day of me and Josh's anniversary, he was at Jewel (picking up a last minute card, I must add!) and a guy had his hood up on his car. He came up to Josh and told him, "Man, do you have like $20 to spare, this wire on my car is split and I need to get somewhere and my car won't start without this wire fixed." Well, Josh being the car-genious he is knew that the wire was designed with this "split" look and it was supposed to be that way. So, Josh knew that he was lying and was trying to rip him off. The guy claimed, "Man, I'm a reverend, I'm not into 'hustlin'' and I just need to get to my destination." So, Josh shook the guy's hand in a one-armed hug and told him, "Look, man, I don't know who you are out here hustlin' everybody, but I know your game and it's weak. I am giving you this money and trusting God with whatever you're doing with it. I pray that it blesses you in some way, but that's between you and God. And by the way, that wire is supposed to be split." Josh gave him the $20 and the two went on their way.

So, last night, when I told Josh the story, he asked the guy's description (light-skinned black guy, about 5'10-5'11, pretty solid weight but not overweight, deep voice, clean) and it was the same exact guy! Can you believe that?! Someone is willing to bless you with their money in a time when everyone's money situation is tight, and you're out asking for money, making up stories, guiltlessly? I cannot see how people do that! I am so happy that I don't carry cash and I'm happy that the girl I work with only gave him $5. That's a bunch of baloney and hurts. Makes me not want to help anyone financially . . .

So, if you live in my area, look out for this guy and do not give him money, regardless of his sob sob story. Ugh.

Posted byAshley C. at 11:13 AM  

2 comments:

piano is forever said... Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 4:05:00 AM PDT  

That is horrible...
our world is corrupting more and more around us.

Kris said... Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 7:26:00 AM PDT  

One time a woman came into the salon with a sob story claiming that her car was out of gas down the street, blah, blah, blah. I felt so bad and gave her money. Then, I watched as she drove off in her car! Ever since then, I don't trust anyone who asks for money. And, that makes me very sad. This is a remarkable story about Josh. You two have amazing hearts. P.S-thank you for everything this week.

Post a Comment