Homeboy?

Lately, I've been reminded of a shirt that I just had to have.  You've probably seem them around and maybe you thought badly about them, maybe you didn't.  I know I didn't (at the time). I was a "new" Christian, so I thought I was rockin' Jesus' name boldly.  Jesus was not my "Homeboy."  He is my Savior, my Lord, my Redeemer, my everything.  Not some friend that I just label as a Homeboy.  Heck, Josh is definitely more to me than a homeboy (although it would be cool to have a shirt with a picture of Josh and saying "Josh is my Homeboy.").  I thought I was the coolest kid on the block with my fitted pink shirt.  I wore it to every Christian event that I could.  How embarrassing!  Thank God (literally) that my ex's Aunt knocked me across the head and was the only one bold enough to say something to me about it.  I was in fact rubbing God's face in the dirt and belittling His name.  What was I thinking?  I'll tell you what I was thinking.  I thought that shirt was proclaiming my conformation against the world and not being afraid to say Who I identified with.  I wasn't afraid to be pointed and laughed at by my old friends.  I was wearing a shirt that shared my beliefs . . . or so I thought.
I wish I could go up to every single person (including some Christian singers) that saw me wearing that shirt and shout to them all through a megaphone that Jesus is NOT my homeboy!!!  He is my life, my best friend, my confidant; the only reason I live!!!!  But . . . I can't.  The only thing I can do (besides throw that $30 shirt away) is to live what I truly believe.

Is Jesus your homeboy or is He much, much more?   

Posted byAshley C. at 8:11 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment