I heard back . . .

I heard back from the company that I applied to . . .

On Monday, they called back and apologized, but the position that I applied for was filled by another candidate, but they still want me to work with their company and want me to get my foot in the door while gaining some more experience (because I was lacking in that department).  He told me that the position they had for me would be working with the clients at their homes and that there were 2 positions open: a 32-hour and a 40-hour, both with the same pay.  I told him that I preferred the 40-hour because it was full-time.  He said that he would let me know, but he couldn't promise anything because there is another person they are considering as well.  So, he asked me to visit one of the homes with him and get a feel and look around.  At this point, I didn't want to mention anything to anyone because I was unsure about it.  I knew for a fact that I was not going to take the 32-hour position because the hours were Thursday-Sunday 2:30-10:20 p.m.; I didn't feel willing to give up my whole life for a part-time job that was not what I applied for in the first place.  So I kept this hush-hush until I knew, knew.
Fast forward to Wednesday afternoon . . . I met him at the home.  It was a duplex located just a town over and there was 8 residents total: 4 guys (on the "guy side") and 4 women (on the "girl side").  The clients seemed so happy, sweet, interested, and excited that there was a new person in their home.  They were people that I could see myself getting used to.  :-]  I could see myself cooking their dinner, packing their lunches, decorating their home for holidays, planning birthdays, get-togethers, planning game nights.  Then, when I began hearing about the day-to-day routine in the home, the mood changed completely.  I would have to help them bathe, use the bathroom, clean up feces, urine, throw-up (if necessary), worry about the guys walking around without pants on (which does happen frequently), drive them around so they can take care of their errands, etc.  All of which I felt completely uncomfortable with and in my opinion, this was not Social Work and I would not be able to complete my Social Work training under this position, so . . .

. . . I turned them down.  

Krissy sure was happy to hear that I would be staying at Omni longer.  Now, I am kind of in "job-searching limbo."  I don't know what I want to do.  I know that I need to complete the training for Social Work within 1 year or else all of the last 16 weeks was a waste of time, money, and gas.  I want to start a career, working 9-5, getting paid salary rather than hourly.  But, I want to know that I have worth even if I don't have those things.  I went to school to begin a career and as of right now, I'm unsure of what that ideal career is. 
You know, I could see myself being an Academic Advisor (at either the high school or college level) . . .  

Posted byAshley C. at 8:45 AM  

1 comments:

Kris said... Monday, May 10, 2010 at 6:50:00 AM PDT  

Yes, I am happy - but, just know above all else that whatever happens now... I am in full support.

Post a Comment