We can't merge going 35!

I start school tonight!  As you all know, I am starting the Social Work program at Upper Iowa University (they have an extension school in Milwaukee).  Milwaukee is an hour drive from where I live, which wouldn't be so bad if I weren't traumatized in high school (more of that later!).  The class is from 5:30-10p.m. which is crazy, especially in an area that I'm not familiar with.  I mean, Josh and I have taken a trip to the school a while ago, and it wasn't so bad, but it was daytime and I had him.  Tonight Josh is going to drive, but tomorrow night, Josh is going to be the passenger while I drive so that I can get a feel of the highway and have no need to worry next week when I'm going by myself.  I think tonight and tomorrow night will be fun because we will have a 2-hour car ride together and Josh will be at the school waiting for me (doing what?  No idea!), how sweet is he?!  But, next week (and 14 weeks after that), I will be going it alone. :-[

So, what happened in high school that was sooo traumatizing?

In Driver's Ed., there are three different sections (not including classroom time): simulation, range, and behind-the-wheel.  Well, it was towards the end of the semester and I was on the highway section of "behind-the-wheel."  It was raining the day it was my turn go figure! so I was even more nervous.  This would be the first time I merged (or drove) on a highway. Period.  So, me, the teacher, and 2 other students headed to the nearest merging ramp with me in the driver's seat.  Before turning onto the ramp, there was a 3-way stop sign.  There was an SUV at the stop sign directly across from me.  Well, I had the right-of-way, but the SUV decided he did.  He cut me off and his tire caught the muddy mess on the side of the road.  His SUV took a couple rolls down the steep hill and stopped and the bottom of the hill.  I was freaking out!  I thought it was my fault and was bawling!  The teacher had me pull over and he got out of the car, looked down the hill (to check on the guy), and came running back to the car.  He slammed the door, breathing hard, and pressed my leg down on the gas pedal yelling "Go! Let's go!  Faster!  We can't merge going 35!"  So, what did I do?  Cry some more.  He expected me to just be able to drive down the highway, cars speeding 70 MPH+ past us, smiling while driving "10 and 2?"  Yeah, right!  I was crying, freaking out, and most of all, traumatized.  We merged as soon as we had the chance and made our way back to the school. 
As for "the man," I have no idea what happened or what the teacher saw.

Now, tell me that I have no reason to be traumatized to merge onto a highway.   

Posted byAshley C. at 9:23 AM  

1 comments:

Kris said... Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 6:18:00 AM PST  

Oh yeah, I could totally see how that could be traumatizing!!!
I hope all went well last night, looking forward to hearing about it when I see you later.

Post a Comment