"Can I sleep in your bed, Auntie?"

That's the question that I've been asked the most this past week.  I mentioned in another post that my step-sister is in town with her 2 kids, Charlee and Matthew.  They are such adorable kids . . . and apparently Charlee loves her Auntie.  She has been asking me day in and day out "Can I sleep in your bed with you, tonight?  Please, Auntie?  I'll even sleep on your floor."  I just tell her, Not tonight, Sweetheart or If you're still awake when I  get home, sure (knowing that I won't be home until the wee hours of the morning); I cannot stand sharing a bed with other people.  I just feel comfortable knowing that there are no dirty feet in my bed or that no one is staring at me, hogging my blankets, drooling on my pillows, or going to keep me up talking about nonsense.  Well, last night my mom and me went to the midnight showing of Eclipse and before I left, Charlee asked "the question."  I replied Sure, if you're still awake, you can sleep with me, but if you're not, I'm not going to wake you up.  We didn't get home until 2:30 a.m..  I made sure that I pulled my car far enough up the driveway so that way if she looked out the window, she wouldn't see my car.  Well, me and my mom made it past the barking dogs and I was able to wash my face and climb in bed peacefully . . . no need to break a six year old's heart.

That is, until 4:30 a.m..  I always lock my door at night because I do not like people coming in my room "just because."  Well, you can unlock my door from the outside by just a simple turn and apparently Charlee figured it out.  I woke up, and because my room was dark (I sacrificed my nightlight for her a couple days ago!), I only saw her sillouette; she had her pillow and a blanket and was making her little spot on the floor.  I just said, Charlee, how did you get in here? and in her sweet, innocent voice said, "I just unlocked it with that 'thing.'"  Okay, come and lay right here, don't sleep on the floor.  But next time my door is locked, you cannot come in here without asking, okay?  "Okay" she replied and we just fell back alseep.  Honestly, it wasn't that bad . . . but it will not happen again.  :-] 

Posted byAshley C. at 8:22 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment