"That Christian"

I was absolutely blown away by what I witnessed today after class.

My school is very liberal, so it's very rare that you'll hear of or know a Christian on-campus.  There are a few Christian Student Organizations, but I cannot say whether or not they are successful because I don't go to either of them.  Now, when I was leaving school today, there were students standing outside with huge posters with very large red writing on them that said things like, "Masturbation is immoral," "Flee for sexual immorality," "Sex before marriage is sinful."  Now, am I the only one that sees something wrong with this?  In addition to that, the students holding these signs were ARGUING with a group of students about their signs.  They were literally yelling, not speaking gently.

Okay, first of all, I do not agree with the fact that these students are on-campus holding these signs up, pointing the finger at "those sinners."  As Christians, we are called to love our neighbors, not point the finger.  And the fact that the signs are only tackling sexual impurities is wrong, too.  College students are not all about sex (although some are).  Just like the general population, many college students are also financially irresponsible, slaves to alcohol, liars, cheaters, etc.  Just like everyone else!  It bothers me that people portray college students so negatively.  What makes us/them different from everyone else?  Why are those signs only targeted towards sexual impurities?
Second, those students were immaturely arguing with bystanders.  You would think a cult had taken over the campus!  People have their own opinions and others need to respect that.  Because those students were already putting themselves "out there," they seemed to feel that they were carrying a stigma, so they carried themselves that way.  They seemed like they were standing out there with their guards up and acting very defensive.  Obviously people standing around were curious, they should have been able to spiritually prepare themselves to witness lovingly and strategically spread God's Word.  Not throw it out there disrespectfully.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely admire the boldness of those students, but I'd wish it had been handled differently.  Something tells me that what they were doing was not Spirit-led.  I really wish I had the "guts" to go out like that, wear my faith on my sleeve, and share God with others . . . but I'm not.  I'm too quiet and reserved when I'm uncomfortable.  I would never want to be "that Christian."  I want to be a Christian that people don't run and hide from.  A Christian that people respect and admire.  A Christian that is Spirit-led.  Never "that Christian."

*Please note:  This blog is very opinionated.  Please respect my views and know that I am not attacking any person or group in particular.  Only the situation that occurred today.  Feel free to leave comments below, sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Posted byAshley C. at 5:19 PM  

1 comments:

Kris said... Friday, October 23, 2009 at 6:52:00 PM PDT  

I completely agree. Have you ever read any Joyce Meyer books are watched her program...I usually catch her at 8pm during the weeknights (channel 3/Comcast...1/2 hr. show)...good stuff. Last night she was talking about how women come to her conferences and get into arguments about where they are seating...stuff like that. Going to a conference on Christ, but then showing non-Christ behavior. A reminder that our everyday actions are signs of our real relationship with Him. You should check her out, you'd dig her...very bold. Very black and white about it all. And, funny!

Post a Comment