Letting Go

Yesterday I was telling Josh about this picture I painted in fourth grade and won first place at this art olympics thing (I don't remember the exact name).  He has never seen it, so I wanted to show him and I knew exactly where it was.  I have this medium-sized box on the side of my bed that is full of pictures (No, Dusty, I haven't gotten around to stuffing that album you gave me!), cards, medals that I've won, high school rewards, church notes, old diaries . . . everything! 
I have to admit, I am a huge pack rat when it comes to sentimental things.  I feel very bad for throwing away cards that people have given me, so I keep them all.  In that box was every single card I have gotten since I was 14.  I went through and looked at all of the cards.  Many brought back memories.  Some made my eyes water.  Many made me smile.  And some, I don't even know who gave them to me (even though their name was on the card!).  I decided that it was time to let go.  Time for me to let go of memories that no longer matter or that no longer have a place in my mind.  Time for me to move forward with where I am now.  Time for me to let go.  It was so hard, but I threw away every card (except for two), every old diary, and every letter.  I never plan on going back and looking at those things; I don't see a need for them to pile up and take up the limited space I have.  After I threw it all into the garbage bag, I didn't feel good.  I felt guilty, selfish, mean.  I keep telling myself that it's okay.  I don't need to be reminded of every single event that has taken place.  If it weren't for those items, I wouldn't remember certain things.  I think God has given us the gift of forgetting . . . so I need to take advantage of that. 
I didn't only do this for me to forget things, but just because!  I threw away funny birthday cards, congratulations cards . . . fun stuff, too.  I just don't need it anymore.  I appreciate cards, but I just don't need them piling up year-after-year.  This blog entry is probably portraying that I have a million regrets that I'm trying to forget about, but I don't!  I still love and want cards, so don't be offended!  I simply don't like being a pack rat.  No more! :-]

Come to think of it . . . I haven't exactly thrown that garbage bag out yet . . .

Posted byAshley C. at 5:55 PM  

2 comments:

strokeofliving said... Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 2:24:00 PM PDT  

Thanks for stopping by SOL and leaving a comment. Yes HSTS was fun times. I blogged about going back home to the East and discovering that my tenant of 15 years threw alot of my sentimental stuff out and is claiming amnesia. It was hard to accept but I've finally moved on from it [salvaged what I could when I got back to the house].

Yeah the pack rat thing, not cute. Please keep reading and thanks again for stopping by SOL.

Be well!

Kris said... Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 5:36:00 PM PDT  

I'm proud of you for being able to do that. I think it's good for us to purge once in awhile. Freeing! Last weekend I went in the attic and brought down all our fall stuff and ran into a box of stuff I know I need to get rid of. I've been thinking about it ever since. I think you have motivated me to just do it!!!

Post a Comment