Oh, the controversy!

One of the most controversial issues between Josh and me is whether or not our kids will be allowed to dress up for Halloween.

His opinion:  Our kids are not going to be allowed.  He did not grow up "celebrating" Halloween, going trick-or-treating, or even slightly acknowledging the day.  If we let our kids dress up for Halloween, we are showing them that under certain circumstances, it is okay to conform to those around you.  They do not need to do what everyone else is doing (dressing up or trick-or-treating).  So what if they feel left out?  They will learn that not everything everyone else does is okay. 

My opinion:  Our kids are going to be allowed.  I grew up dressing up for Halloween, going trick-or-treating until my bag was too heavy to carry (and then weighing it when I got home!), and waking up in the morning excited for what the day was going to consist of.  I feel that if our kids are raised in a godly home (which they will be), they will understand that it is never okay to conform to those around you and that Halloween is just another day on the calendar, with some added jazz!  However, I will not allow our kids to dress up as anything "scarey."  They will not be allowed to dress up in a mockery costume (i.e., Adam & Eve, Jesus, Angels, etc.). 

We never see eye-to-eye on this issue.  I just think that our kids need to be kids.  There is no harm in letting our kids dress up as long as they understand that it shouldn't be taken too far.  I've offered the option of starting our own traditions for Halloween instead of everyone else's tradition and he was all for it; but I'm not going to let him win this that easily!  :-]

Posted byAshley C. at 1:36 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment