Beauty in aging?

Josh and I were invited by one of the clients at the Salon to go out to dinner to celebrate her husband Russell's 90th birthday.  This particular client is so sweet; she is an older Japanese woman that is the cutest lady you'll ever meet.  She invited me and Josh, Krissy, Rob, and Emily (Krissy and Rob's daughter) and Lisa and Larry.  She wanted to have dinner at a Japanese restuarant called 'Tsukasa.'  It was a really nice restaurant; they cook right there in front of you and show off their talents while doing so.  Psst, I learned that playing with your food pays off because both Josh and I caught food in our mouths on our first try!

While sitting there and just watching Russ, I felt kind of sad.  He is very lively for his age, tells jokes, smiles . . . and he's 90!  He has lived 90 years of life . . . doing things that we do every day. Now, his life is coming to an end and soon he'll be leaving all of that behind.  I suppose trading all of this earthly splendor for God is more like an uneven trade times a billion (in His favor!), but there is something about knowing your life is coming to a close.  We only have 'X' amount of years to live and the weird that about 'X,' is that we don't know what 'X' is; it could be 2, 23, 31, 100, we just never know.  People say it often, but you can't really dwell on the bad things, the inconveniences, or the challenges facing us, but the life that we have now, only focusing on today because tomorrow is never guaranteed.  It's a really strange thing to think about.  I pray that I either live until I'm in my 90s or until Jesus returns, but I'll never know.  Josh said that he looks at aging and death as a beautiful thing . . . I am still in the very, very beginning stages of even accepting that part of life. :-/

Posted byAshley C. at 10:22 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment