Where were you?

This might be a little cliche' to write a blog about 9/11 . . . and that's not good.  I think that as Americans, it is important to remember those that were lost on 9/11.  It is so easy for us to just live life and act as though nothing happened because we aren't living in the shoes of those that have lost a loved one in this attack.  Many people were killed (2,993 to be exact) and although we cannot personally recall every name, maybe not even one, but we need to remember the effect that this had on our country and even now, our troops. 

Where were you?

I was in eigth grade, first period, art class.  Our teacher just took attendance and I offered to take it down to the attendance office.  When I walked in, the women behind the counter were talking to each other about a plane that just crashed into the Pentagon and were expecting more activity elsewhere.  When I got back to class, I told my teacher and she turned the news on in class.  For the rest of the day, we continued to watch the updates, clips from around the world of people celebrating, people running for their lives down New York streets, people mourning for loved ones, flags being burned . . . the list goes on and on.  I remember sitting there at my desk, all teacher's lessons halted.  I just kept my eyes glued to the TV in disbelief at what I was witnessing.  While sitting in my History class, I remember our teacher telling us to "remember this day because it is going to be a big part of history."  Although I do not know anyone that knew someone that was lost that day, I feel that I can empathize with part of what was experienced. 

I heard a few times today, "Oh, but nobody cares to remember Pearl Harbor anymore," or "What about the casualities of World War II?"  I think that as time passes, different priorities are placed and sad to say, but we tend to forget about big events such as these.  It's nice to see that a lot people are still remembering what took place eight years ago.

Posted byAshley C. at 2:14 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment