Tears and Tension

I was really looking forward to today because of my cousin's wedding; I knew that I would be seeing some family members on my dad's side that I haven't seen in forever.  My Aunt told me and Errika that we should be at the church at 10:30 so we figured the wedding began at 11:00.  Well, as we pulled in, we were joking about how it would be funny if we walked in right behind the Bride walking down the aisle . . . well, that's exactly what happened, except a little more graceful than how I just made that sound.  But, we'll forget about that and act like that never happened . . . haha!
For the reception, we were seated with my Aunt Tiffany and her family and my Grandparents.  It was really a "magical" moment, being able to see and talk to my Grandma and Grandpa frog (I call them that) who I haven't see in sooo long.  I was basking in the comfort that I was feeling from actually being there, in real life, face-to-face, with family members that I hunger to know more.  But, unexpectedly, things kind of took a turn. I asked Grandma When was the last time you talked to Dad? and she said that she hasn't really talked to him too recently but Grandpa has.  After about 3 minutes of complete silence passed, my Grandpa says "When was the last time you talked to your dad?"  and I had a thinking look on my face and said Oh, gosh, hmmm . . .  and he replies "Wow, that's sad you even have to think about it.  There's this problem of missed phone calls for Father's Day in this family and it makes me sick!"  Immediately, the blood drained from my face and I wanted to crawl under the table and bawl my eyes out.  Not from discomfort but because I felt bullied.  My Grandpa just made a comment to me about something he has no idea about.  Shortly after, Grandpa tells me "Before you leave, I want to talk to you."  If I were under the table, I would have dug a hole and crawled a million miles to avoid a conversation that he would know nothing about.  Errika asked me if I wanted to go to the bathroom with her and right when we got there, I just started crying.  I did not want to be bullied and feel that I had to defend myself from a situation that happened between my dad and me and my Grandpa is only hearing one side of the story. 
After I got back from the bathroom, Grandpa told me to sit by him and told me "There are always two sides to every story and I want to hear yours.  Why don't you talk to your dad?"  So I just gave a thirty second explanation while stumbling through my words, tears, and swelled throat.  He seemed to understand and even put his arm around me and said, "It hurts.  I know."  The conversation wasn't too long because people began leaving the reception and lots of commotion.  My Aunt Tiffany, Uncle Matt, and Grandparents invited me and Errika over to Tiffany's house to go swimming . . . so, we accepted.  After all, I never see this family.  
We enjoyed the time swimming, taking pictures, eating food off the grill, and just enjoying being family.  While eating dinner, I proposed to Grandma that a family reunion is in dire, dire need.  We tentatively have a reunion planned for Easter weekend 2011 at Grandma's house in Florida.  I got all of the Aunt's and Uncle's phone numbers and addresses so that I can send a letter reminding them what is going on.  We have almost a year to plan, so there should be no reason for everyone to not be there.  I don't know why this idea wasn't thought of sooner?  Am I the only one interested to see others in the family?
Now, for the past 4 hours, there has been a big "after party" for the wedding here at my Aunt's house and we've finally been able to slip away and relax without all of the people around.  I've got a killer headache and am just so tired from all of the events that happened today.  But, in an inexplainable kind of way, I really liked it.  :-]

Posted byAshley C. at 9:03 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment