"I Do," but does God?

Today, I had the opportunity to witness yet another one of God's greatest gifts to His creation: the union of two souls becoming one. I think that in today's society, a lot of people have lost the meaning of what a marriage signifies and has completely destroyed it and warped it into what they want it to be (or what they think it should be). Marriage is a beautiful thing that God created after seeing that in the Garden of Eden, Adam was lonely and needed a mate, so out of his flesh and bone, God created Eve. The bone could represent that the two are dependent on each other for strength and the flesh is to hold each other in tact with what each one is and/or can offer. Marriage was instituted by God and has three basic concepts: 1) the man leaves his parents, and through public act, promises himself to his wife, 2) the man and woman are joined together by taking responsibility for each other's welfare and by taking responsibility for each other's welfare and by loving the mate above all others, 3) the two are united into one in the intimacy and commitment of sexual union that is reserved for marriage. A good, strong marriage will consist of all three of these components.*

This brings me to think, "What is a 'good wife?'" A couple Sundays ago, my Pastor gave a sermon about the characteristics of a "surpassing woman." I want to share these with you because I believe that these are some things to think about, either as a wife, a mom, or a woman that is considering either of the two.

1. She offers up her family. This is important because a lot of times women are held back by fear and does not let herself or her family reach their fullest potential is worshipping God through their living because she is being held down. A surpassing woman sees the importance in letting go and letting God handle her family.
2. She shakes up her family to moral purity. Especially in today's society, a strong woman needs to be there to raise and place a standard in her home and in her marriage that will lead her family to moral purity. Today, a lot of standards are lost and transformed to fit what seems to be "right." A surpassing woman sees the opportunity to set a standard in her marriage and/or home that shows her family what standard is most appropriate.
3. She speaks up for those that cannot speak. This may not be in the literal sense, but she needs to be the defender of the weak. This could mean that she reads between the lines and sees what needs to be brought to the attention of another that might not be brought up otherwise. Many times a woman is needed as a mediator. A surpassing woman sees the needs of each individual in her family and helps to fulfill these needs.
4. She builds up her marriage and/or family. She shows that she is trustworthy and that no matter what the circumstance is, she is there and willing to listen with an open heart. She sees when something is not going right and tries with everything in her to make them better . . . not worse. A surpassing woman does not break her family down, instead she continues to build the strongest foundation of a relationship.
5. She saves up. A surpassing woman is not caught up in today's materialism, instead she sees the importance in saving up. She in content in what she has and counts everything as a blessing. A surpassing woman counts everything she has as a blessing from God and shows that she is responsible for what He has blessed her with.
6. She dresses up. She understands that not only is she displaying her personality by the way she dresses, but the smile and attitude she wears. She wants her husband to be satisfied with both her external and internal characteristics. A surpassing woman takes the beauty that God has given her and shows people that she can display it in a modest way that not only attracts her husband, but shows a welcoming spirit.
7. She opens up. She is a type of woman that is able to see what others need and is willing to give what she can. A surpassing woman extends her hand to those that need it.
8. She listens up. Naturally, the woman of the home is the most trusted individual in the family. She needs to be willing to let others come to her for anything they need without complaining or whining. She is the one that sets the atmosphere of the home. A surpassing woman makes her home a welcome and happy place that welcomes each individual in her heart and in her arms.
9. She soaks up. She accepts the praises and rewards that are due. She does not resist, but she has a humble spirit that knows how to accept these things. She has humility and dignity. A surpassing woman can willingly accept the praises, rewards, and thoughtfulness of others all while returning the praise to God.
10. She looks up. She stays close to God and remembers that God is the "glue" that will hold her family (and herself) together . . . she cannot do it on her own. A surpassing woman knows and understands that praise and prayer are the only ways she will be able to love her family to the fullest.

After hearing some of those points, I really started to think about what it really means to be a mother, wife, and woman of God. As many of you know, me and Josh have done a lot of talking about marriage and when we think we will be ready. I honestly want to take all of these points into consideration before fully giving myself to my husband. I understand that I will not be able to fully reach any of these characteristics, but that I must strive my hardest to be the perfect wife and mother to my family. I do not think that I reach any of these yet, but when I do, I think that God will show me that I am ready shortly thereafter. I cannot give myself to my husband without first considering his feelings and what I know will be most pleasant to be with.

---------------------------On another note-----------------------------------

The outside reception immediately followed the wedding and need I mention that it was only 44 degrees today?! I wore the cutest sundress and my cowboy boots to the wedding, but after the wedding was over, I had to go home and throw some jeans on, tuck in the second (longer) layer of my dress, throw on a cardigan, and tah-dah! I had a whole new outfit, only much warmer! After 3 long hours, me and Josh left and turned the heat on full blast all the way home. We decided that we are going to pull an all-nighter and head to Wisconsin early in the morning to go fishing. This will be our first time fishing this year and I cannot wait! I think last year I caught a total of more fish than Josh did and that will be my goal again this year!

Tomorrow is my last free day before I start my 3 summer classes . . . aaahhh!!! Beginning Monday, I will be spending more time online thus, I will be blogging more!

Random Fact: An average of 44,230 weddings take place in the U.S. each weekend.


*Taken from the NLT study Bible commentary

Posted byAshley C. at 9:04 PM  

1 comments:

Stiltner said... Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 10:37:00 AM PDT  

This was very beautiful and so true***

Post a Comment