Our first year

Josh and I began dating about a week before he left for his first year of college about 3.5 hours away.  I was still at home finishing up my senior year of high school.  Our love was sparkly and new . . . and we had no choice but to be sure that it was strong, too.  He was attending school to major in computer science and still fulfill the duties he had since receiving his full-ride scholarship to play baseball.  We knew that we wouldn't be seeing each other more than once every other month so we talked on the phone.  A lot.  When I got home from school, I waited by my phone until he got home from practice and we talked until the wee hours in the morning. And did it all over again the next day.

Until his dad stepped in.

What?!  Only 1 hour a day?  He has got to be crazy!!  "I know babe, we'll just have to talk more online, I guess."  Yeah, that kinda sucked.  It was much more different than actually hearing his voice and being able to hear about his day, how practice went, what new schemes his evil roommates plotted that day.  We thought of almost every idea in the books: chatting via webcams, leaving each other looong voicemails until it beeped (hoping that wouldn't reflect used minutes), text messages, surprise letters.  He wouldn't let me drive to visit since I hadn't had much experience driving on the highway since the nightmare.  But, along with his not-often-enough visits back home, I was able to visit twice that year with my soon-to-be roommates.

I suppose it was more than enough to get us through our first year apart.  We spent every moment of every day that Summer and into our first year of school together.  Being 3.5 hours away from home was all the more reason.  But, that's another story for another day.

Posted byAshley C. at 5:07 PM  

1 comments:

KateyDe said... Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 9:48:00 AM PST  

Ashley,
You remind me so much of myself years ago... (33 to be exact) I breast fed totally,(though my husband thought it was so gross) was a stay at home Mom, canned, baked. Deeply involved in our Church. I found that as wonderful as my child was, I need a little job for myself. I was just 21 (married at 19). All I wanted was a baby. You are going to have such an adventure, you, Josh and your family. You are NOT talking to yourself,my dear Ashley. I read it all. I want to jump up and say that's so great, I am so proud, I love you so much... Could you- would you take photos of Tobey and I before our anniversary. Could I possibly look pretty... These are just some of the thoughts I have. The depth of your feelings, the excitement-- I am in awe. It is all so beautiful. So Godly. So right. And I am greatly humbled by it. And then I think " Just what could I say to that???" And so I keep quiet.(Hold the shock- me quiet??) Girl, you are a bright light for Jesus shining in the wilderness of the world. I am honored to call you friend. Thank you!

Post a Comment