Andre's homegoing

Yesterday, Josh's family lost an amazing, godly, gentle-spirited, young man.  Andre was one of the most kind guys that I have ever met.  Although I was not close to Andre, we were friends (would have been cousins, too!).  I can recall some good memories that we've shared and it seems that many of the friends he had can do the same.  I can promise that not a single person could ever say a bad thing about Andre and the life that he lived. 
As I've mentioned before (like, a hundred two hundred times before!), I do not handle death well.  It's one of those ginormous struggles of mine but also where I can find peace knowing that it is a strength that Josh has.  I knew the day would come where I would have to hike up my britches and comfort Josh for a loss in his family and I was sooo scared about it.  But, like always, Josh surprised me.  The way he thinks of it is that Andre is in a much better place, without pain or sickness.  Josh said that every single memory he has of Andre was a good one so that's where he finds his comfort.  Me, on the other hand, thinks in an earthly manner; But, Thanksgiving is next week, his brother's (and best friend) birthday is next month just like Christmas.  What is the church going to be like without his praise and worship?  He never had the chance to share an intimate love with a spouse, he was so young.  But here's the key: Andre does not care!  He is worshipping face-to-face with his Creator!  How amazing is that?!  I think where I get caught up on my sad thoughts is for the individual; for the things that they've missed out on.  But, Andre was here for God's purpose and it is clear that he served his purpose and then some!  His time here on earth was temporary and he made the most of it.  All of his family and friends will be reunited with him before Andre's day is over in Heaven. 

Yesterday, I asked Josh to share with me one of his best memories with Andre and this is the story he told:

When they were younger, Micah (Josh's brother) and Josh were in boxing and Chuck (Andre's brother) and Andre always teased them that they didn't know how to fight and that they were better than them.  Chuck dared Josh to punch him and Andre in the stomach the hardest that he could to see if it would hurt.  Josh told them "no way," but in the end, Chuck was able to talk Josh into punching them under one condition: they had to take turns in the room so that the other wouldn't see how hard Josh could actually punch and cause the other to "wuss" out.  First, it was Chuck's turn.  WHAM! Chuck fell to the ground holding his stomach, grunting.  Micah scraped Chuck off the floor and made him leave the room.  Second, Micah brought Andre in the room and WHAM!.  "That's all you got?" Andre said, standing confidently with a straight face.  Josh said that when he punched Andre in the stomach, all he felt was his hard abs and it was no wonder Josh couldn't hurt Andre!  Andre said, "Your fist hurt my skin, though. I know for sure I'll be sore tomorrow" and kept repeating himself.  I'm going to go out on a limb that Andre would still like to tease Josh about how he punches like a sissy. ;)

Posted byAshley C. at 5:53 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment