Almost too good to be true

So, I am proud of myself for actually blogging twice in one day! Earlier I mentioned that I was going to go visit my school for the Spring semester. Well, I did. I cannot remember the last time that I have been so excited and relieved! It really seems that everything is falling into place and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

So, the purpose of me going to this school is to get my Social Work Training Certificate. In the state of Wisconsin (which is where I hope to work), in order to become a Social Worker, you need to have a Bachelor's in Social Work. I don't have that. Instead, I will have a Bachelor's in Sociology and Psychology. Because the three fields are closely related, they will waive the whole "Bachelor's in Social Work" jazz and allow you to take 4 additional classes, take an exam, and you have your training certificate which ends up being the equivalent to a Bachelor's in Social Work. The reason that this was such a big deal was because I could not find a school at all that offered a program to get the certificate. Now that I have finally found the school, I can rest assured and know that I will be able to have the required education for my career choice.
Any way, I went in to the open house and filled out an application and met with an advisor. I think I got the most helpful advisor I have ever had. It was very simple. She said that because I was coming in as a transient student (non-degree seeking), I would not need to submit my transcripts from my three previous schools (which is a very long, drawn out process). She also explained to me that the four classes that I need are scheduled perfectly to where I would only have to drive to Milwaukee once a week, and for the other class I would only have to go to Racine. Big difference! So, in the end, I will be taking two late classes each week and will not have to drive to Milwaukee for them both! She said I am accepted into the school and can register in November. I am so happy for this because it does not conflict with my work schedule.

Come May, 2010, I will officially and legally hold the title "Social Worker" and be able to start working! This whole thing feels surreal. I have been busting my butt and working so hard and I am finally able to see the silver lining. It is all coming together and I can clearly see what I've accomplished.

I think that the one lesson I have learned throughout this whole college experience is that you are not always going to have someone there guiding you. In fact, you will have to plan and advise yourself 99.9% of the time. When you do everything yourself, it really pays off and you feel a greater accomplishment. I am just so grateful that I have made all the right moves so far!

Posted byAshley C. at 9:24 PM  

1 comments:

piano is forever said... Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 9:54:00 AM PDT  

i totally hear ya on that last paragraph!

i am excited for you and hope that i too will have a silver lining :). as of now i am not sure what God has planned but i go with the flow and where the doors open.

-hannah

Post a Comment